Don’t let winter cold take a bite out of your wallet. Fight back with these tips:
- Get smart.This winter, about 50% of your energy costs will come from heating your home. Dropping the temperature by just a few degrees can make a huge difference. It’s even easier to save with a smart thermostat you can control right from your phone – and automatically adjusts while you’re away or sleeping. Check our store for instant rebates.
- Find where your home is losing heat. If your home is drafty or cold in one room but hot in another, consider an in-home energy audit. A certified energy auditor will perform a comprehensive evaluation and suggest updates that can save energy and money. Take advantage of instant savings if you have the work done by a participating contractor.
- Flip the switch. In the winter, reverse the direction of your ceiling fan to a clockwise direction and turn it on at low speed. This produces a gentle updraft, which forces warm air near the ceiling back down to you.
- Mind the gaps. Fill openings and gaps around pipes, chimneys, lights, windows, basement brick and cement work with an easy-to-use spray foam insulation you can pick up at any hardware store.
- Out with old, in with the new. It could be time to consider replacing heating equipment, especially if your system is more than 15 years old. An ENERGY STAR® certified furnace will keep you warmer and save you money no matter how cold it gets outside. Save more with our rebates.
- Keep the air warmer and cleaner. A dirty air filter makes your furnace work harder to keep you warm, and you may need to change your air filter more often than you thought. ENERGY STAR® recommends checking your filter once a month and changing it if it looks dirty. If you hold it up to a light source you will be able to see if the filter is dirty or clogged – if you can’t see the light through it, then it’s definitely time for a replacement.
Learn more about all of our energy efficiency programs.
You should also know:
- We offer payment assistance programs for customers having trouble with their bill.
- No-cost weatherization is available for income-eligible customers through our WarmChoice program.
Stay warm and save!