Our Safety Commitment
Ohioans deserve natural gas service delivered by a company with a strong commitment to safety. Here's what Columbia Gas of Ohio does to keep you safe.
- We will spend $2 billion over 25 years to update natural gas lines throughout Ohio. We build our new gas systems with advanced safety features.
- Lives and property can endangered if someone damages a gas line. That' why we emphasize the importance of calling 811 before you dig.
- We put a strong emphasis on timely and effective response to emergencies.
- Columbia works with emergency responders to make them aware of our pipelines and how to respond in an emergency.
- Safety isn't something you can turn on when you get to work. That's why we encourage our employees to "take safety home" to family and friends.
- Our gas control and monitoring center operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- We regularly inspect all of our gas lines and meters, and we patrol our pipeline rights-of-way.
- Our operations employees receive regular training and are qualified under U.S. Department of Transportation standards for natural gas pipeline operators.
- Some segments of our gas pipelines have been designated as High Consequence Areas. We have additional safety plans for these areas.
To learn more, download this printer-friendly Pipeline Safety Brochure, or visit the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) website. PHMSA is the federal agency that regulates natural gas safety.