Standard Choice Offer
A Market-Based Price for Natural Gas
You can choose who supplies the natural gas that Columbia Gas of Ohio delivers to your home or business.
Your options include*:
- Columbia’s Standard Choice Offer (SCO) rate – explained on this page
- A supplier in the Customer CHOICE® Program
- Your community’s natural gas aggregation program, if one is offered
*Customers in the PIPP Plus Program are not eligible for the Standard Choice Offer or the Customer CHOICE® Program. Instead, they receive the Default Sales Service (DSS) rate
Here are the basics of the SCO:
- The SCO price is set by a competitive auction, overseen by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) and is adjusted monthly based on natural gas market prices.
- You'll see the name of a gas supplier on your bill.
- Each SCO supplier charges the same SCO price for natural gas.
- We deliver your natural gas, and your monthly bill will come from us.
- You'll be charged Ohio sales tax on your natural gas purchases (like CHOICE® customers).
October 2016 SCO Price
The Standard Choice Offer (SCO) rate equals the Market Price of natural gas plus a Retail Price Adjustment. The rate varies monthly based on changes in the Market Price.
The Market Price is the month-end natural gas settlement price on the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange).
The Retail Price Adjustment is determined by an annual auction conducted by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO). The Retail Price Adjustment represents the supplier’s non-gas costs of doing business.
The Market Price is expressed in Mcf (1,000 cubic feet of gas). We bill in Ccf (100 cubic feet), and so the SCO price is expressed in Ccf.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) provides a comparison of the SCO price with offers from suppliers in the Customer CHOICE® Program.
Get answers to common SCO questions.