Outage in Zanesville
Final Update, May 13 at 5:00 p.m.
Thank you to the Zanesville community for your patience during the gas service interruption. We appreciate your understanding during the last few days as we worked to make sure customers are safe and then restored service.
We will continue to work individually with the small number of customers whose service is still out, as well as those awaiting appliance repairs.
We would like to thank the City of Zanesville and the Zanesville Police Department, the Red Cross, Muskingum County Emergency Management Agency, Muskingum Recreation Center and the Muskingum County Fairgrounds. We are also grateful for the assistance of AEP Ohio.
For anyone still without service
We must come inside to conduct a safety inspection of your gas lines and appliances. During the inspection, we will make simple repairs to any issues that we identify. If the repair is more extensive, we will disconnect the affected appliance and schedule an appointment to remediate the issue.
This process takes approximately an hour for each home. To help expedite restoration at your home, there are certain actions you can take to be prepared:
- Please leave your porch light on if your gas service is off
- An adult (18 or over) must be present at the home to allow Columbia Gas workers to restore service
- If you are planning to leave your home, please leave your contact information with a neighbor
- Columbia Gas employees and contractors carry photo IDs and will show them upon request
Our customer care team is ready and available to assist with any questions you may have regarding goods or services impacted by the outage. Please contact us at 1-800-344-4077.
Shower facilities are available for use at the Muskingum Valley Recreation Center for residents Monday through Friday, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation.
Your safety is important to us
To ensure quick and safe restoration after an outage, please note the following:
- Our crew will need access into every impacted home or business to conduct safety checks and restore service.
- An adult (18 years or older) must be present to allow our employees to restore service. If you need to leave your home, please leave your contact information with a neighbor or on your door.
- Keep your porch light on until your gas service is back on. It helps our crews determine if your gas service is on or off from the road.
- Our employees and representatives carry a photo ID and will be happy to show it to you upon request.
- If it’s cold enough that pipes are in danger of freezing, leave cold water dripping from your faucets. Just a little bit of water trickling will help prevent freezing.
See how we restore service after an outage
While you're using hot water, cooking and warming your home, we're working behind the scenes to provide you safe and reliable service. While we make every effort to minimize interruptions, they can happen and temporarily leave you without service. Sometimes these outages are planned and sometimes they're unplanned.
For planned work, we'll try to notify you in advance about outages, which are a necessary and important part of upgrading our system and general maintenance. During an unplanned outage, we are committed to keeping you informed. Please check your email, our website or social media accounts for updates. Remember to keep your contact information current so we can reach you.
Unfortunately, restoring service isn't as simple as flipping a switch. First, our technicians must go meter-to-meter to temporarily shut off service at each home or business. Then, we'll complete repairs and restore the flow of natural gas in our system.
Next, our technicians will go door-to-door to restore service to each customer. All Columbia Gas employees and contractors wear a company-issued ID badge with their photo on it. We'll need clear access inside your home to perform a safety check of your natural gas appliances. We complete these inspections because of our commitment to safety, so do not attempt to restore natural gas service on your own. We'll continue to make repeated visits through the area until service is restored to all customers.
With any work, challenges may arise and we may not be able to restore service. If this happens, we'll notify you and explain the next steps. Please note, if one of your appliances fails our safety check, we cannot relight it. And, we cannot restore service to your home or business if we find a leak in your piping. If you're not home when we come to restore your service, we'll leave a tag behind prompting you to call us to schedule your safety inspection and service restoration as soon as possible.
We want to keep you safe and warm, so we'll make every effort to restore your service as quickly as possible.
If you have special needs or medical concerns regarding an outage, please contact us at 1-800-344-4077.