What To Do When You Smell Gas
Odor of Gas: Natural gas has a rotten egg or petroleum odor that can alert you to a leak in or around your home or business. If you smell an odor of gas:
- If you smell gas inside, get out immediately. If you smell gas outside, turn off and abandon any motorized equipment you might be using. Leave the area quickly.
- From a safe location, away from the building, call our 24-hour emergency number at 1-800-344-4077 and 911.
- Wait for our service crew to arrive.
- Don't light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc.
- Don't open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate.
- Don't try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves.