Do You Smell Natural Gas?
- Inside: Get out immediately.
- Outside: Turn off and abandon any motorized equipment you might be using. Leave the area quickly.
- From a safe location, away from the building, call 911 and Columbia Gas of Ohio at 1-800-344-4077.
- Wait for our service crew to arrive.
- Don't light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc. Don't open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate.
How to Detect Natural Gas
Use your senses to detect natural gas
Safe Digging – Call 811
Call before you dig – Call 811 at least two business days before you dig
Demolishing a building? – Call us at least 30 days in advance
Learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it.
Staying Safe at Home
Your responsibility – know your responsibility for maintaining the gas lines you own
Appliance safety – keep your appliances safe by following these simple tips
Flooding safety – learn what to do in the event of a flood
Tampering with meters and gas lines – a dangerous and illegal proposition
Winter meter protection – learn how to protect your meter from snow and ice
Keeping Our Community Safe
Sewer line safety – avoid safety concerns if your sewer is clogged
Pipeline Rights of Way – keeping safe it there’s a pipeline on your property
Impostors and scams – learn how to protect yourself against impostors, scams and identity thieves
Our safety commitment – what we do to keep you safe
Kids safety – kids can have fun learning about gas safety with Digger Dog®