Stay Safe

Stay Safe

Be Alert to Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane or oil) burn incompletely.

Know the symptoms

Carbon monoxide may cause:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Irregular breathing
  • Feeling ill or tired at home but fine when away from home, and other symptoms.

You may smell exhaust fumes or see a yellow/orange flame on gas burners, or see soot around the outside of the chimneys, vents or fireplaces.

If you think you may have symptoms, leave the area immediately and call 911.

Stay safe

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors. Some models double as smoke detectors.
  • Have all appliances serviced by a professional.
  • Provide adequate ventilation in the house when using stoves, fireplaces or unvented space heaters.
  • Never burn charcoal or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed space.
  • Clean chimney and check for blockage, especially with wood-burning fireplaces and stoves.
  • Open the garage door before starting your vehicle.

Learn more at