About Us

About Us

News Room

Media Relations

Moving? Here’s how to transfer or start new service

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

If you are planning to move, your to-do list is filling up quickly. Make sure to cross one item off ahead of time and call us to transfer or start your natural gas service. 

Just follow these simple steps to ensure service is set up for your first night in your new place: 

  1. Determine move-in date

    Prior to giving us a call, decide the dates you want service stopped at your current address and started at your new address. We recommend you contact us at least five working days prior to your move-in date but please provide as much notice as possible, so we can schedule the request for the date needed.

  2. Call us at 1-800-344-4077

    Our customer service representatives are here to assist you Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

  3. Find out if your new address currently has service

    If you are establishing service for the first time, or if the gas service has been turned off at your new residence, we may need access to the meter, thermostat and/or gas appliances to complete the installation. In these cases we will let you know at the time you call and schedule an appointment with you. Please note: an adult (18 years or older) must be present to allow our employee access, and pets need to be secured in an area away from where our technician will be working.   

  4. New customer? Ask about security deposit

    Some new customers may be asked to provide a security deposit based on their credit history. If we do charge one, it will be billed to you in 3 monthly installments and refunded, with interest, after a year of good payment history.

  5. Leaving us? Check current balance

    Make sure to check what your current balance is on your account. Your final bill will be mailed to your new address unless you provide a separate mailing address.

  6. Own rental property? Cancel Property Owner Agreement

    If you sell a rental property where you have established a Property Owner Agreement, please make sure to cancel the agreement by notifying Columbia Gas in writing.