We’ve been alerted to a new scam. Some customers received calls from a person claiming to be from Columbia Gas of Ohio. The caller demanded that the customer pay a security deposit at CVS by a specific time or gas service would be shut off. The caller also gave a phony callback number.
Fortunately, the customers were suspicious. They hung up and called our Customer Care Center at 800-344-4077. We were able to set them straight before they lost any money.
Scammers are hard at work -- but you can beat them. Here are some tips to help you avoid scams and impostors:
- If you’re not sure a call is actually from us, hang up and dial us directly. You’ll find our number (800-344-4077) on your bill or on our Facebook page.
- We never ask for pre-paid debit cards as payment.
- Our employees do not collect cash payments. Nor do they deliver cash refunds or rebates to customers at home. All account transactions are handled electronically or through the mail.
- We won’t come to your door and ask to see your gas bill – we already have it.
- All Columbia Gas of Ohio employees and our authorized contractors carry photo identification badges. Most Columbia Gas of Ohio employees and contractors drive vehicles that are clearly marked. Ask to see the individual's ID badge before allowing them access to your home or business.
- Never give personal information, including Social Security numbers and banking information, to unconfirmed sources. We only ask for a Social Security number when a customer is applying for new service.
- If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, contact law enforcement, as well as your bank or credit card company if applicable.
- Concerned about suspicious account activity or unsure about the legitimacy of any email, phone call, program or offer claiming to be affiliated with Columbia Gas of Ohio? Please call us at 1-800-344-4077.